"I am a Refugee" campaign
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs is launching a new international campaign this week entitled "I am a refugee". The campaign, spearheaded by Deputy Foreign Minister Daniel Ayalon, will be presented in three languages: Hebrew, Arabic and English. Its purpose: to increase international awareness of a little-known refugee group – Jewish refugees from Arab countries.
Many Jews who had lived for generations in Arab countries were driven from their homes as a result of antisemitism and anti-Jewish riots that broke out in the Arab countries following the declaration of the Jewish state. Between 1948 and 1952, 856,000 Jews from Arab countries became refugees.
On the Facebook page can be found personal stories of Israelis from Arab countries who were expelled from their homes and their countries, but not before their property was confiscated and their rights were taken from them by the rulers.
"The time has come to correct an ongoing historical injustice affecting half the population of Israel," says DFM Ayalon, and adds, "We started 64 years late, but not too late. For the sake of true reconciliation with our Palestinian neighbors, the issue of the Jewish refugees must be resolved.”
The campaign led by the deputy foreign minister has whipped up a storm in the Arab world.
DFM Ayalon calls on all refugees and their descendents to take part in the campaign and to upload their personal stories, by means of videos, written text, documents and pictures, to the Facebook page. "Tell the world your personal story, which is an inseparable part of the story of the Jewish people and the story of the re-establishment of the State of Israel," Ayalon urges.
The next stage of the campaign will be an international conference of jurists and experts. The conference will be held in Jerusalem on September 10, under the auspices of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Ministry of Pensioner Affairs and the World Jewish Congress. In addition, a conference will take place in New York when the United Nations General Assembly convenes at the end of this month. The personal stories that appear on the Facebook page will be presented at the conference.
- DFM Ayalon attended the annual Chabad conference in NYC
- "Support of the Palestinian request to upgrade their UN status equals to support in terror"
- "It is time to start speaking of Justice for Jews from Arab Countries"
- "I am a Refugee" campaign
- U.S.-Israel Strategic Dialogue
- DFM Ayalon and the Munich widows thank Australian Speaker of Parliament
- DFM Ayalon opens MFA legal conference in Paris
- Bilateral Commission btw the Holy See and Israel
- DFM Ayalon meets with US Under Secretary David Cohen
- Just One Minute
- "Tal Law is the true test of the new extended coalition"
- DFM Ayalon met China's Special Envoy to the Middle East
- DFM Ayalon in an official letter to the IOC
- First MFA conference on Jewish refugees from Arab countries
- DFM Ayalon met French FM Juppe and the Families of the Victims of the Terrorist Attack in Toulouse
- All posts